CREATIVE WRITING SINGLE PARAGRAPH ASSIGNMENT - 1969 IN THE BASEMENT OF THE ASSUMPTION RECTORY

The last Basilian Father

This Paragraph a False Assumption?

 

Stephen Weir 

Weir031, 4th year Creative Writing Assignment

Assignment - write a paragraph based on my take on a Windsor University scene


Submitted version


The last Basilian Father

This Paragraph A False Assumption?

 

An ancient priest in an over-starched cassock makes a special noise when he shuffles across Assumption Hall’s wooden floors.  I listen while I pick the basement door’s antique lock. Click. I am in.  Rotting hand-made wooden steps against the massive fieldstone wall.  Shaky. I make it safely onto the heavily pock-marked basement floor.  A string of Edison era light bulbs hangs above. Clothesline style. I am facing a moss-lined tunnel that slopes toward the Detroit River. An iron bar gate blocks the way. Sigh. Another lock to pick. I hear the priest. He is at the top of the stairs. Cough. Door slams. Lights off.

 

“I am so hungry,” he rasps.


Draft version


The last Basilian Father

This Paragraph A False Assumption?


An ancient priest in an over starched white cassock makes a special noise when he shuffles across the wooden floors of Assumption Hall. “Poke me hard if you hear him comin’,” I whispered to my look-out.

“You are out-of-date my friend. There are no Basilians left!” she laughs.

 I am picking the basement door’s antique lock. Click. We are in.  Rotting hand-made wooden steps against the massive fieldstone wall are next.  Shakey.  We made it safely onto the pock-marked cement floor.  

A string of Edison era light bulbs hangs above us clothesline style.

We are starring at a moss-covered tunnel that slopes down towards the Detroit River. An iron bar gate blocks the way. Sigh. Another lock to pick.

We hear the priest. He is at the top of the stairs. Cough. Door slams. The lock clicks. Lights off. 


“I am so hungry,” he rasps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America Wild. The name of a movie, a metaphor for the star!

No Butts About It (although judges liked his Butt!). Mr. CHIN Bikini chosen today

Trinidad and Tobago Kidnap Movie Kills At Box Office