|Artist's drawing of proposed Shark tank and glass walkway|
Canada’s Biggest City Building Canada’s Biggest Aquarium
At a late August press conference Canadian entrepreneurs, Jim Pattison Senior and Junior, officially launched the construction project. The Jim Pattison Group, one of the country’s largest private companies, owns Ripley Entertainment (Ripley’s Believe It or Not), and operates aquariums in both Tennessee and South Carolina.
The new Toronto aquarium project has strong financial support and redevelopment monies from the Federal Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto. Heavy political hitters from all levels of government attended the event. Speaking at the aquarium splash were federal MP Ted Opitz, Ontario Minister of Tourism and Culture Michael Chan and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford.
|Ontario Tourism Minister Michael Chan|
|Mascots pose at the Aquarium construction site|
Aquarium Factoids provided by Ripley's Aquarium of Canada
|What to serve at an aquarium launch lunch? Melon Jaws!|
- Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada is expected to draw nearly two-million visitors each year;
- The Aquarium will be one of the largest in North America, with a capacity of 5.7-million litres (1.5-million gallons);
- Featuring 450 species, the Aquarium will be home to more than 13,500 inhabitants;
- Well-trained staff dedicated to the highest standards of aquatic husbandry will include biologists, scientists, divers and aquarists who will work diligently to ensure all the animals are safe, well-tended to, and allowed to flourish;
- The Aquarium will conduct breeding/conservation programs for endangered species, including ongoing tagging and tracking programs for sand tiger sharks in conjunction with universities and government agencies.